Thursday, August 15, 2013

Lunch Complaint: Where's the Broccoli??

This is going to be a venting post.

As my readers know, I've recently joined Weight Watchers, and am following the Points Plus program. So far, it's going well, and I appreciate that Weight Watchers markets and manufactures Smart Ones microwavable meals for the days when I'm running late for work. I grab one with a side of fruit and veggies and I'm out the door.

That happened to be the scenario this morning, so I grabbed a WW Smart Ones meal: Creamy Rigatoni with Broccoli & Chicken. I really like some of the WW meals -- I recommend Pasta with Ricotta and Spinach and the Chicken Enchiladas Suiza -- but I had never tried this particular meal.

I make the meal. Easy enough, just follow the directions.

I pull back the film to stir, and notice the INSANELY wimpy portion of broccoli. Picture 6 small pieces. 

Now, I am a veggie fan. I love them, so I was disappointed that there wasn't more. But then, the more I thought about, the less those 6 broccoli pieces made sense to me.

Why, you ask?

Because broccoli, like other fruits and veggies, has a grand total of 0 WW points. ZERO. 

I can understand the limited amount of chicken in the meal, ya know, because chicken adds up at 1 point per ounce, but why is Weight Watchers skimping on a zero point veggie that the program encourages us to eat?? 

 Obviously, this will not affect my long term results on the WW program, but it did bother me enough to take to my blog to talk about it. Weight Watchers, if you're listening, I'd like more broccoli, please. 

Lessons learned here:

  • Bulking up meals with veggies and fruits will not only add more nutrients to your daily diet, but will also leave you satisfied for longer. 
Well, it looks like there's broccoli....


Maybe the rest of the broccoli is with Waldo

1 comment:

  1. It's all about the money. Flash-freezing broccoli gets expensive. Pasta is cheap. Cheaper meal to produce = higher profit margin.

    ReplyDelete